Freelance 2D Game Artist
We're on the hunt for a freelance 2D Game Artist to join our growing New York studio and work in a tight-knit team of developers, designers and project managers. You’ll be working on a variety of projects for a wide range of clients, joint-ventures and our own products. We have a ‘get stuff done’ attitude, but we don’t forget to have fun and learn from each other along the way.
And since we believe in a one team approach to projects, you'll regularly get to work closely with clients on interdisciplinary project teams, allowing you to collaborate intimately with them to realize their digital identities. Success as an artist at ustwo requires you to not only be passionate about creating great artwork that resonates with players, but also sharing your experience with others and holding your hand up when you are in the weeds and need some support.
At ustwo, we don't do "traditional agency", demand crazy hours, or ask you to sacrifice your social life in the name of clients. Day in and day out, you'll do the best work of your life, craft innovative projects with amazing teams, deliver cream-of-the-crop gaming experiences to some of the biggest and most kick-ass brands on the planet, and have a blast doing it.
- A bachelor’s degree in Game Art & Design, Illustration, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 3 years experience in game development
- Comfort in breaking your art into its components
- A portfolio that demonstrates a strong grasp of 2D concept and production art
- The ability to carry an idea quickly from the conceptual phase to a finished illustration
- An understanding of how to translate your art into game environments
- Familiarity working within an art pipeline, including the conceptualization of how your artwork can be brought to life through animation, effects, and implementation
- An understanding of the limitations that come with mobile hardware and web-based games
- Proficiency in design tools such as Photoshop
- Work with the Lead Game Designer to translate game concepts into fully realized designs and assets
- Create 2D assets and characters with a focus on customizable elements
- Design game and level environments
- Create Icons, UI elements, and other supporting 2D elements of our games
- Work within an established art pipeline to translate the game vision into implemented assets
- Coordinate with the interdisciplinary project team and task interdependencies to ensure timely and accurate deliveries
- Deliver design to Technical Artists that takes into account the preferred animation approach and technical requirements
- Share and facilitate knowledge sharing and understanding of the latest techniques and tools within the team and the studio
- Troubleshoot problems and assist the team in unblocking issues
- Ask questions, critique others work constructively, and ideate a game’s overall design, in order to raise product quality
WE'D LOVE IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience working on games that involve character customization and puppet animation
- Significant contributions to at least one shipped game
- Familiarity with lightweight, web-based game development
- An understanding of the animation and modeling process, with knowledge of how Spine and Maya bring to life static design
- Experience working with Game Designers & Technical Artists to create feasible design
Please provide a link to your online portfolio as well as any released games you have contributed to as a 2D game artist. This is an onsite 40-hour a week freelance position starting mid May and lasting through the end of the year.
ustwo is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We believe diverse teams help us make better products and actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, stories and backgrounds. We provide everyone with equal access to professional development.