Design Lead (fixed-term)
ustwo is looking for a Design Lead to join our design team in the London studio on a contractor basis. We are a global studio committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. To do this, we work across the entire product lifecycle; from visioning and discovery, validating propositions through to launching products, services and ventures that are valuable to both users and businesses. We have a lasting and transformative effect on the businesses and organisations we work with.
To meet these opportunities our design team is made up of versatile designers who have, and are constantly developing and broadening their wide skillsets and deepening their process knowledge. Our designers are skilled, confident, and multi-faceted, collaborating across all disciplines involved in the product and service development process.
We believe passionately that diverse teams help us make better services and products. We actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, stories and backgrounds. It adds value and impact to our clients and industry.
As Design Lead at ustwo, you’ll be intuitive on how best to support the needs of the people, projects and studio. You know when to get hands-on with the detail yourself, and when to set your teams up for success by delegating work, while directing and teaching. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that our designers are learning and developing through role modeling, and you’ll provide guidance and support to individual designers and teams, bestowing vision and direction during projects; from discovering value, validating proposition all the way through to delivering product and services.
You will often be hands-on during projects, working with other designers, developers, and project managers to define, build, and iterate solutions for our fantastic clients and partners. In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to work with other senior members of the design team, helping us improve process, approaches, and strategy for both the design team and the studio as a whole.
- Comfortable, confident and competent at managing and directing individuals and teams.
- Able to frame and communicate challenges and opportunities to clients and teams, and create alignment on a way forward.
- Adept at growing client relationships and contributing to business development
- A brilliant and accomplished designer with proven experience working on things that exist in the real world, not only as prototypes.
- A natural and inclusive collaborator who can speak to a range of professionals from different backgrounds
- Experienced with carrying out strategic opportunity discovery work within a design practice that creates value for our clients.
- Well versed in conducting research, creating and validating ideas, creating prototypes and make confident recommendations to our businesses.
- Someone who takes a wide strategic view of problems, seeking multiple inputs and solutions and challenge the thinking of the teams and clients you work with.
- Able to understand progressive ways of working to drive both commercial and design value and have the ability to simplify complexity.
- Able to take an initial insights and go on to create propositions, services, products or ventures that live with people, day to day in the real world.
- Someone that enjoys being hands on . We believe lead designers shouldn’t be separated from the reality of making things.
- Experienced and confident in visualising and prototyping concepts fast to communicate ideas.
- Able to think strategically and systemically about opportunities and challenges.
- Someone who gives and receives quality feedback in equal measures.
- Comfortable with experimentation and clear understanding when to experiment and where to use defined solutions.
- A natural storyteller and presenter.
- Veteran-level design experience with plenty of years under your belt, deep knowledge and expertise in user experience, research and product design.
- Proficiency in, and examples of, how you resolve difficult design challenges, as well as demonstrate ability in leadership, support, mentoring and working closely with other designers.
- Experience in being involved in projects that have not always followed the status quo, and can demonstrate times you have challenged dominant design perspectives and broken new ground where traditional design paradigms didn’t make sense.
- Solid understanding across other design disciplines - Brand strategy, Business design, product ownership
- Proven capability of shipping software applications and other design outputs across a variety of platforms.
- An exceptional understanding of how behaviour and context impacts design.
- Impeccable knowledge of design tools and workflows.
- The ability to multitask and contribute to more than one project at once.
- A clear written and verbal communication style.
- Successful stories about how you have helped others to develop, both in their craft and soft skills.
The design team at ustwo comes from an eclectic mix of backgrounds and design practices. What unites us all is that we are curious, empathetic, creative designers that leave our ego at the door and care deeply about the things we make and put into the world.
We offer a competitive package, amazing family policies and promote flexible working days.