Head of Engineering
We’re looking for someone to build out the development / engineering capability for what we believe is an incredibly promising studio. We’ll be looking to you to own, grow, champion and mature the development function.
You'll be joining our studio at integral time as our presence is nascent and our offering in this market is still taking shape. With the support of three already established studios (London, New York and Malmo), we have the ability to build upon international best practise and insight but will also have the flexibility to define our own flavour to what works best for us here.
Ideally, you would have a background in product development through employing Agile and Lean methodologies. We’ll find it very interesting if you’re coming from startup land or have tried your hand at building your own product before.
You already possess a local knowledge of the Australian landscape in existing talent and clients. You’re also a strong networker and both well connected and respected within the industry.
It's not about how many active years you've had 'on the job', it's about what you've learned and the impact you've made that matters. We value team and culture fit above all else, which means that you're passionate about what you do, open to learn from your colleague and have a natural desire to share.
ustwo is an industry-leading digital product studio with an expansive portfolio spread across client projects, own IP and most recently ventures. All our work focuses around the main purpose of ‘making a difference’ and also being able to capture the imagination and interest of our teams of designers and developers.
- Strong leadership in projects that utilise lean and agile product design methodologies
- Your skills in development ideally span across multiple platforms, including front-end web development, native mobile and backend integration. You are able to use your experience across these platforms to make product development decisions around development strategy, tools to employ and team composition
- Represent ustwo in getting our name out there within the development community - you are actively involved in the Sydney development and startup communities, industry events and/or conferences, or looking to get published
- Support new business development activities through participation in proposals, pitches, and helping to cultivate new client relationships
- Guide the client to negotiate technical challenges to achieve business goals and provide advice to the wider team as to the potential and limits of available technologies
- Represent ustwo with clients in a clear, confident and professional manner whilst building trust and lasting relationship
- Provide accurate estimations and practical recommendations to ensure that projects are delivered within the available budgets and timeframes
- Provide relevant and accurate advice on potential risks associated with any technical approach
- Lead technical recruitment - you know what a top developer looks like and you’re happy to lead the recruitment process
- Support the professional (and personal) development of ustwobies, whilst setting the tone for excellence, and cultivating a strong development culture within the company
- Collaborate with leaders in other ustwo studios to harness existing knowledge, ensure consistency in messages and use applicable work in local new business conversations
- A natural empathy and understanding of people empowerment to motivate and inspire
- Excellent communication / presentation ability, capable of inspiring both colleagues & clients
- A continued desire to learn and share knowledge with team - keep up to date by seeking out new techniques and technologies
Above anything we are a people centred company that strives to create the best opportunities for the best people in the industry. We just so happen to have an amazing studio space and great tools for learning and sharing.
We offer a competitive package, including but not limited to company wide profit sharing platform and training budget.
25 days holiday are offered as standard, inclusive of studio closure days over xmas.
We also promote flexible working days.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.