Visual Design Lead
ustwo is looking for an exceptional and experienced Visual Design Lead to join the design team in our New York studio.
At ustwo NYC, we are working towards being a product design powerhouse. To do this, we structure our team around versatile designers who have, and are constantly developing and broadening their wide skillsets and deepening their process knowledge. Our designers are skilled, confident, and multi-faceted, collaborating across all disciplines involved in the product and service development process.
As a successful Visual Design Lead at ustwo, you’ll know when to get your hands dirty tackling detailed work yourself, and when to set your teams up for success by delegating work, while directing and teaching in the background. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that our designers are learning and developing through role modeling, and you’ll provide guidance and support to individual designers and teams, bestowing vision and direction during projects, spanning initial insights all the way through to the completed product.
As Visual Design Lead, you will often be hands-on during projects, working with other designers, developers, and project managers to define, build, and iterate solutions for our fantastic clients and partners. In addition, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work with other senior members of the design team, helping us improve process, approaches, and strategy for both the design team and the studio as a whole.
Our leads feed into ustwo’s wider strategy of becoming the world's leading product studio, and you’ll provide critical and constructive perspective about the direction we are moving.
- Able to frame and communicate challenges and opportunities to teams, and create alignment on a way forward.
- Communicating the vision for the design team with the wider studio.
- Producing content for the website that will help position ustwo as the leading digital product studio.
- Supporting, informing and making resourcing decisions, including leading and advising on recruitment decisions of new team members.
- Break down unnecessary silos and improving working practices by fostering and maintaining effective working relationships with leads in other disciplines.
- Ensure any design team issues that require decisions or attention at a leadership level are communicated quickly and concisely.
- Can motivate the team to work with our ustwo WoW and concepts.
- Contribute to progressing & improving our culture and WoW - offering up new approaches.
- Practice and encourage a culture of showing and shipping early and often.
- Comfortable, confident and competent at managing and directing individuals and teams.
- A brilliant and accomplished creative with proven experience working on things that exist in the real world, not only as design comps or prototypes.
- A design expert focused on pixel perfection. You sweat the details to ensure that you and the team deliver remarkable products on time and on budget consistently.
- Able to take an initial nugget of an idea and create products that live with people, day to day in the real world.
- Someone that enjoys getting your hands dirty. We believe lead designers shouldn’t be separated from the reality of making things.
- Experienced and confident in visualizing and prototyping concepts fast to communicate ideas.
- Able to think strategically and systemically about opportunities and challenges.
- Someone who accepts and resolves critique gracefully.
- Comfortable with experimentation and clear understanding when to experiment and where to use defined solutions.
- Veteran level design experience with plenty of years under your belt, deep knowledge and expertise in visual design, spanning UI, brand, iconography, and art direction.
- Proficiency in, and examples of, how you resolve difficult design challenges, as well as demonstrate ability in leadership, support, mentoring and working closely with other designers.
- Experience in being involved in projects that have not always followed the status quo, and can demonstrate times you have challenged dominant design perspectives and broken new ground where traditional design paradigms didn’t make sense.
- Solid understanding across other core disciplines - Motion, Interaction, Service Design.
- Proven capability of shipping software applications across a variety of platforms.
- An exceptional understanding of how behavior and transition impact design.
- Impeccable knowledge of design tools and workflows.
- The ability to multitask and contribute to more than one project at once.
- Incredibly clear written and verbal communication style.
- An honest, competitive salary.
- Paid Medical, Vision and Dental insurance
- 401k with up to 5% company matching
- Transit and Health FSA programs
- Life and Accidental Death insurance
- Long and short term disability insurance
- Citibike and Zipcar memberships
- Paid parental leave
- Annual all expenses paid company-wide summer trip
- Flexible work hours
- Personal Training and Development Budget
- Employee discounts via TriNet Perks program
- Plus more! Full Benefits Deck Here