Business Development Director
ustwo New York is excited to be on the hunt for a Business Development Director who will unite, set the overall strategy, and hold accountability for our team, which consists of marketing, finance and business development. Equal parts getting your hands dirty and stepping back to help paint the bigger picture, this is a massive opportunity for the right person to help mold the future of our studio.
Day to day, you'll help create new opportunities for the studio which reflect our core values by working closely with and supporting each discipline. You will manage and grow a team of three people, currently including PR & Marketing, Business Development and Partnerships. Additionally, you'll sit on our leadership team, where you'll represent the business perspective, contribute to our studio vision, direction and strategy.
- Driven by passion and principles, more so than money. Commission-based roles don't exist at ustwo, so you'll be paid a competitive salary to do a job you love, as opposed to focussing on what you're taking home at the end of the day.
- Sold on the idea that strong, genuine client relationships lead to great products.
- We don't believe in cold calling or templated emails, we believe in “sensible hustle”. Strategically choose where we want to grow and who we want to grow with to develop new networks and generate business where it never existed before. Comfortable in your own skin. As the future face of ustwo New York, you've got a positive and extensive history of being able to speak in front of potential clients, crowds, and team members alike.
- Someone who looks at the big picture, but is still ready and willing to work on day-to-day business responsibilities, from negotiating MSAs to leading pitches and nurturing a team of 3+ people.
- Highly collaborative and transparent. You're not a sole contributor, but rather someone who will work with and foster a tight-knit team where sharing knowledge and experience is second nature in order to grow together.
- Never afraid to speak your mind, and are exceptionally clear when you do.
- Passionate about learning and experimenting. "Afraid to fail" and "play it safe" aren't in your vocabulary, but you're willing to admit your weaknesses and when you're wrong, in the name of personal and professional growth.
- Naturally motivated and self driven. Your curiosity cannot be quelled, and you're never done learning.
- Driven by (and thrive on) inspiring and bringing out the best in those you work with.
- An industry veteran; you've overcome some serious challenges and tackled problems, from both a management and business development perspective, that most would have shied away from. You have a network of contacts in New York and the US. You are comfortable with non-traditional new business pipelines. You have opinions about the larger industry and are excited by figuring out ustwo's place in it.
If the above rings true, you've got what it takes to be an ustwobie. Keep reading...
- Contribute to the overall strategy and vision of ustwo New York as a representation of the business team and their goals.
- Set the strategic and business direction for the team, that each member can get behind deliver towards.
- Be a face for the studio: You have a profile and a passion for what we're building. Because of this, you'll "live and breathe" ustwo, representing who are are and what we do in meetings, during presentations, and at events.
- Encourage and facilitate the collaboration between each function in the business team. We're multi-faceted between marketing, finance and business development, and you'll make sure we all hold hands in a meaningful way.
- Look at the big picture and align the business team disciplines towards the same goal.
- Represent the business team on our New York studio's leadership team.
- Challenge the New York studio's leadership team and the business team in thinking about our business model. We're constantly experimenting and never settle; you shouldn't either.
- Champion the welfare of the business team: Manage, develop, coach, and inspire them. As you're a critical part of the team, this is a two-way street. You'll provide and receive critical feedback.
You Must Have:
- Demonstrable capacity for building strong client relationships. This should be comprised of mutually beneficial, profitable, and productive partnerships that you know have been rewarding on both sides.
- A strong local network in the US and New York specifically.
- Demonstrable business development experience with major US brands
- Experience securing and negotiating contracts in excess of $3M
- Start to finish experience from network through to pitch. You're comfortable with negotiating MSAs, establishing new relationships, creating opportunities, qualifying leads, leading RFI/RFP responses, crafting bespoke proposals + pitches, contract negotiations; the works.
- Capability of defining a market proposition and positioning.
- A desire and excitement to speak at events and represent ustwo externally.
- An understanding of how global and local marketing work together, hand-in-hand with business development.
- Knowledge and understanding of consultancy studio financial models and budgeting processes, both at company and project levels. You know how to build a business strategy around finance, what it means and looks like to stabilize revenue, ideas around ways to ensure profit, and how this all interlinks when it comes to the proverbial big picture.
We'd Love If You Have:
- Experience within a product-centric organization. This can be large and well established, or small and scrappy. Both environments foster different skill sets and learning experiences, and we respect that.
- Experience with agencies and consultancy. We live and breathe this, and you will too. It'd be great if you know the intricacies of our world ahead of time.
**Unfortunately we are unable to support work visas for this position at this time
- Paid Medical, Vision and Dental insurance
- 401k with up to 5% company matching
- Transit and Health FSA programs
- Life and Accidental Death insurance
- Long and short term disability insurance
- Citibike and Zipcar memberships
- Paid parental leave
- Annual all expenses paid company-wide summer trip
- Flexible work hours
- Employee discounts via TriNet Perks program
Full Benefits Deck Here
ustwo is a global, independent design and development studio, building award winning digital products, services, and businesses. Across our four studios in London, Malmo, New York, and Sydney, we partner with the world's leading brands on innovative projects, ranging from apps and interfaces to service design. We also create our own products and games, in addition to incubating and building disruptive digital startups. In a nutshell, ustwo is a studio like no other.
ABOUT USTWO NEW YORK
At ustwo New York, we’re proud to be a unique fusion of culture from around the world. Our studio, which is nestled in the Financial District of Manhattan and situated on Floor 16 of the historic Standard Oil Building, has been fully renovated since it’s Mad Men days; it now boasts light and airy workspaces, two terraces overlooking the Statue of Liberty, a stunning events space, fully stocked kitchen, and just over 50 talented and passionate ustwobies.
Global as we may be, the hustle of New York City is engrained in our DNA, and we embrace it wholeheartedly. Our dedicated team of designers, developers and project managers partner with some of the top brands in the United States, and day in and day out, we strive to create experiences that make a meaningful difference, both for our clients and their customers.
From virtual reality to wearables and beyond, we’re pushing the status quo when it comes to innovative digital products, and now we need your help to bring our team to the next level.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
ustwo is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We believe diverse teams help us make better products and actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, stories and backgrounds. We provide everyone with equal access to professional development.