Director of People
ustwo New York is thrilled to be searching for a talented Director of People to help support our ever-growing studio. This role will have the responsibility of designing, implementing, and managing the team’s innovative people & HR initiatives. The Director of People will report directly to the Managing Director.
As our Director of People, you will be a part of ustwo New York’s leadership team, working with them to foster a strong studio culture of openness, teamwork, and feedback. Together, you’ll continue to develop a culture that encourages and recognizes innovative thinking and approaches, and that thrives in continuous change.
As the Director of People, you’ll help attract, develop, engage, support, and retain a satisfied, high-performing staff in a culture of continuous learning and improvement. You’ll also work closely with our studio operations and and product leadership teams to advise on compensation and benefit strategies, workplace policies, and compliance with laws and regulations.
Our strategy for the next three years is founded on investing deeply in our team, and by 2020 we want our studio to be recognized as best-in-class for people development and working culture. Here’s how the Director of People will help us achieve those goals:
First-Year Goals (2017)
In the first year, our Director of People will have:
- Defined NYC’s approach to learning and development by the end of Q3, and ensured that it targets our product quality definition and our strategic initiatives.
- Continuously worked with the studio and product leadership team to develop ustwo New York’s approach to career and personal development.
What You’ll Be Responsible For:
- The studio’s recruitment process, including managing our talent pipeline and succession planning
- Driving the ustwo equality, diversity and inclusion agenda, together with the leadership team
- Managing and negotiating external recruitment partnerships
- On-boarding new employees, including a robust orientation, as well as off-boarding process for those leaving
- Training and professional development, including personal coaching
- Team building
- Organizational skills and needs assessment
- Foster and developing leadership skills throughout our team, and the studio
- Performance management, including individual and organizational metrics
- Employee relations including conflict resolution and change management
- Internal communications encompassing all aspects of people
- Managing and defining the budget for the People team
- Employer branding
- Empathetic and approachable, a great listener, and naturally inspire trust and confidence.
- Someone who always sees the good in people, and you are able to put yourself in their shoes.
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to utilize relevant communication skills depending on the situation or target group.
- Consultative and inclusive, yet when needed, you can act decisively, make difficult decisions, and advise on hard choices.
- Understanding of the complexity of a diverse and global agency model like ustwo, and you’re capable and happy to balance different perspectives and build consensus.
- A person of integrity, whose personal and professional values are consistent with ustwo’s values and mission.
- Someone that has a strong mindset for continuous improvement and meeting or exceeding expectations.
- Comfortable with teamwork as you are with autonomously and effectively driving initiatives.
- Strategic, yet results oriented, with the ability to focus on the details of implementation.
- Engaged and have a strong, positive influence on those around you.
- At least 8+ years of experience with increasing responsibilities in attracting, coaching, and retaining a diverse, professionally thriving, and high-performing staff.
- A strong understanding of the agency model and how people, culture, and business are equally important pieces of that puzzle.
- A strong understanding of creative and technical talent, the differences in recruitment processes across all proficiencies, and how that plays with ustwo’s culture and the current workforce landscape in New York.
- Demonstrable experience implementing innovative and effective approaches to talent development and career development.
- Proven capability to influence, evaluate, and manage conflicting priorities effectively.
- Experience in managing an HR department in organization of 100+ people.
- Experience in managing, mentoring, and nurturing an HR team reporting directly to you (the team is currently planned to be 2-3 people by the end of 2017.)
- Expertise in US employment law and regulations.
We’d Love If You Have...
- Experience in coaching teams and individuals
- Experience in leadership development
- Experience from Agile HR, Lean processes within HR development
- Paid Medical, Vision and Dental insurance
- 401k with up to 5% company matching
- Transit and Health FSA programs
- Life and Accidental Death insurance
- Long and short term disability insurance
- Citibike and Zipcar memberships
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work hours
- Employee discounts via TriNet Perks program
- ...and more! Check out our Full Benefits Deck Here
ustwo is a global, independent design and development studio, building award winning digital products, services, and businesses. Across our four studios in London, Malmo, New York, and Sydney, we partner with the world's leading brands on innovative projects, ranging from apps and interfaces to service design. We also create our own products and games, in addition to incubating and building disruptive digital startups. In a nutshell, ustwo is a studio like no other.
ABOUT USTWO NEW YORK
At ustwo New York, we’re proud to be a unique fusion of culture from around the world. Our studio, which is nestled in the Financial District of Manhattan and situated on Floor 16 of the historic Standard Oil Building, has been fully renovated since it’s Mad Men days; it now boasts light and airy workspaces, two terraces overlooking the Statue of Liberty, a stunning events space, fully stocked kitchen, and just over 50 talented and passionate ustwobies.
Global as we may be, the hustle of New York City is engrained in our DNA, and we embrace it wholeheartedly. Our dedicated team of designers, developers and project managers partner with some of the top brands in the United States, and day in and day out, we strive to create experiences that make a meaningful difference, both for our clients and their customers.
From virtual reality to wearables and beyond, we’re pushing the status quo when it comes to innovative digital products, and now we need your help to bring our team to the next level.
Diversity & Inclusion statement
ustwo is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We believe diverse teams help us make better products and actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, stories and backgrounds. We provide everyone with equal access to professional development.