ustwo is looking for a talented Technical Artist to join the team in our New York studio. We are currently open to both contractors and full-time.
As a studio, we stay ahead of the curve of new technologies. We work with the world’s leading technology companies to produce ground breaking, imaginative and meaningful experiences that connect new technologies to a mass audience. We are inspired by discovering what's possible, but never do tech for tech's sake. We are focused on strong concepts and experiences first.
To do this, we structure our team around versatile designers who have wide skill sets, and are constantly developing, broadening and deepening their skills and process knowledge. Our designers are confident, and multi-faceted, collaborating across all disciplines involved in the product and service development process.
Currently we have a range of work applying AR and VR technologies to a range of groundbreaking new experiences.
You should have a strong background as a technical artist (or in closely related field) and be inspired by the opportunity to work on a range of challenging problems within a mission driven team.
As a successful Technical Artist at ustwo, you’ll get your hands dirty tackling detailed work yourself, while working within a tight team of artists, designers and developers to conceptualize, visualize and bring ideas to life in the hands of real users. We work across the product development process - collaborating closely to define, build, and iterate solutions for our fantastic clients and partners.
The average day will be a mixture of ideation as a team, as well as individual exploration and execution of ideas. Therefore, you should feel comfortable with creative ownership. Our design process is non-linear and we’re always aiming to validate the core user experience of a concept before building out the whole experience. You’ll be able to go through entire design processes in projects, from initial idea to play testing, design iterations and shipping the experience.
- Shipped projects. At least one shipped title as a 3d or technical artist.
- 3+ years experience in the video game industry or equivalent, with experience of working with Unity or other AAA engines. Our projects are in the AR/ VR space.
- Solid experience writing shaders in CG, HLSL or GLSL.
- Experience in real time lighting for AAA projects.
- Good understanding of lighting and effect systems in video games.
- Extensive experience in rigging characters for game engines (bipeds, quadrupeds, robotics & other organic forms).
- Expert knowledge of Cinema 4D (preferred), Maya or 3D Studio Max. Knowledge of Photoshop and ZBrush a plus.
- Expert understanding of constraints of real time engines especially when it comes to modeling, texturing, materials and lighting.
- Implemented game assets and animation from Cinema 4D to Unity.
- A creative streak with the ability to develop concept art independently and contribute to wider conversations/ ideation around art direction.
- Strong capability in rapidly iterating on concepts in a short project timespan.
- Proficient in game-optimized complex hard surface modelling, UV editing, and the creation of materials using current gen tools.
- Highly collaborative. You're not a sole contributor, but rather someone who prefers to work with a tight-knit team where sharing knowledge and experience is second nature in order to grow together.
- Never afraid to speak your mind, and are exceptionally clear when you do.
- Passionate about learning and experimenting. "Afraid to fail" and "play it safe" aren't in your vocabulary, but you're willing to admit your weaknesses and when you're wrong, in the name of personal and professional growth.
- Naturally motivated and self driven. Your curiosity cannot be quelled, and you're never done learning.
- Calm under pressure and ambiguity and able to navigate through a project.
- Driven by (and thrive on) inspiring and bringing out the best in those you work with.
- An industry veteran. You've overcome some serious challenges and tackled design problems that most would have shied away from.
- Willing and able to help develop and codify new processes and approaches, outside of our current wheelhouse.
- Paid Medical, Vision and Dental insurance
- 401k with up to 5% company matching
- Transit and Health FSA programs
- Personal Training and Development Budget
- Citibike and Zipcar memberships
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work hours