Senior Service Designer (UX/Research)
ustwo is looking for an Senior Service Designer to join our design team in the London studio. We are a global studio committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. To do this, we work across the entire product lifecycle; from visioning and discovery, validating propositions through to launching products, services and ventures that are valuable to both users and businesses. We have a lasting and transformative effect on the businesses and organisations we work with.
To meet these opportunities our design team is made up of versatile designers who have, and are constantly developing and broadening their wide skillsets and deepening their process knowledge. Our designers are skilled, confident, and multi-faceted, collaborating across all disciplines involved in the product and service development process.
We believe passionately that diverse teams help us make better services and products. We actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, stories and backgrounds. It adds value and impact to our clients and industry.
As a Senior Service Designer you’ll be working with teams of creative, inquisitive like minded designers, developers and strategists, to produce inspiring and impactful work.
You’ll be experienced at working with users and businesses to discover and launch services, products that solve real customer needs and create business value.
You will help apply strategic and design thinking to deliver end-to-end product and service propositions through iterative cycles of user research, design, build and learn. You are comfortable driving strategic relationships and delivering across a multiple of teams and clients. We are looking for someone who is motivated to push our industry-leading agile ways of working further and inspire the teams around them.
- Comfortable, confident and competent at leading projects to deliver new products and services or incrementally improve existing ones.
- Happy delivering at pace.
- A natural at collaborating and partnering.
- Able to, in conjunction with a multi-disciplinary team, take an initial nugget of an idea through to services and products that live with people, day to day in the real world.
- Able to balance business and user needs in order to create value for both.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to move projects forward. We won’t always have predefined constraints on projects.
- Experienced and confident in prototyping concepts fast within a team, to communicate ideas
- Able to understand the bigger picture and strategically and systemically think about opportunities and challenges.
- Proven experience on having worked on products and services that have gone to market or are in-market.
- A strategic thinker and doer.
- Able to simplify complexity to help improve client and colleague understanding of project goals, processes and outputs.
- Someone who gives and receives quality feedback in equal measures.
- Continuously sharing your knowledge of the practice with the team and industry.
- Proactively looking to move our client relationships, design practice and move the studio forward.
- Someone who takes a wide strategic view of problems, seeking multiple inputs and solutions and challenge the thinking of the teams and clients you work with.
- Core strengths in leading an end-to-end service design and UX process.
- Extensive experience planning and conducting design research including ethnographic studies, contextual enquiry, one-to-one interviews, service safaris and heuristic analysis.
- Deep experience in planning, designing, facilitating and synthesizing workshops.
- Strong knowledge of strategic and service design tools and workflows
- Proficiency in, and examples of, how you resolve difficult design challenges.
- Experience in being involved in projects that have not always followed the status quo, and can demonstrate times you have challenged dominant design perspectives and broken new ground.
- The ability to multitask and contribute to more than one project at once.
- Business acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication style and are a natural strong storyteller.
- Proven capability in working with stakeholders to gain buy-in for process and outputs.
- The ability to frequently refine & apply service and UX design methods.
- Experience in contributing to new business development.
Once you’re in the role you will…
- Work with multidisciplinary teams on a range of products advocating for the user at all times to drive value for our client businesses. These projects typically range from 6 weeks to a year and vary from early-stage opportunity discovery through to producing products that go into the market through to recommending changes to existing products and services.
- Work very closely with other designers, technologists, coaches and business partners to successfully deliver projects from kick off through to delivery for our clients. You will own the UX/Service Design component of the work and iterate it based on feedback from users, the team and clients. You will be able to independently create UX documentation and service maps/blueprints.
- Give feedback and input into all aspects of the design process, particularly as relates to the UX/Service Design.
- Work with the team to develop prototypes, alphas, betas and live services.
- Regularly conduct testing with users, design the methodology for these and turn the output into intelligence.
- Carry out client-facing workshops and presentations
- Work with the new business team on developing pitches
- Be an expert who is continually learning about your field and help your colleagues learn more about UX and Service Design
- Participate in regular sprint ceremonies for your projects - daily stand-ups, show and tells, retrospectives, sprint planning etc.
The design team at ustwo comes from an eclectic mix of backgrounds and design practices. What unites us all is that we are curious, empathetic, creative designers that leave our ego at the door and care deeply about the things we make and put into the world. We offer a competitive package, amazing family policies and promote flexible working days.