Senior Back-end Engineer
Do you enjoy building products that apply best practices to solving users’ needs? Do you value the interaction of development with design? As a Senior Back-end Engineer, you will work with a team of designers and developers to help bring digital products to life. You will support our client partners to help build the backend of a pilot/MVP application as the champion and owner of the backend for platform - building an autonomous system for a high profile Australian Healthcare company that has revolutionised it’s industry.
ustwo is an industry-leading digital product studio with an expansive portfolio spread across client projects, our own IP (Monument Valley, Sway, Moodnotes) and ventures. Our work focuses around the mission of making a meaningful impact on the world and also being able to capture the imagination and interest of our teams of designers and developers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Anticipate project development needs, raising potential issues to team and client early and proactively seeking solutions and adapting to changes
- Tailor and use the right development process within projects and the engineering team.
- Collaborate with other developers, designers in order to successfully launch a pilot iOS app with a node backend.
- Use a holistic lens in coding, ensuring high usability, accessibility and embracing design standards.
- Introduce new technologies and engages tech team to consider applications for current or future projects.
- Champion agile/lean approach when required.
- Create prototypes and use analytics to help prove or disprove hypothesis.
- Support other developers through peer reviews and conceptualising solution architecture.
- Support and mentor other developers in best practices and initiates code standards for projects.
- ❤️ Coding and have experience across an array of different platforms, languages and stacks.
- Experience with web technologies including but not limited to Node or Python
- Apply the best design pattern for the case (Flux, MVC, MVVM, Mediator, etc.)
- Experience with server and database management (MySQL, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL)
- Experience working with a large arsenal of open source and cutting-edge technologies such as Node.js and Docker.
- Experience with Docker and how to use it in the context of Node.js and microservices.
- Strong object-oriented and functional design skills.
- Debugging and performance testing skills
- Experience working in Agile teams and an understanding of the agile development process
- Interest in developing your skills and sharing knowledge with fellow peers
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
SUPER COOL TO HAVE BUT NOT NECESSARY
- A working knowledge of the iOS platform and Swift.
- Some experience with UIKit, Core Animation, and the iOS SDK
- Knowledge of multi-threaded, asynchronous code
- Understanding of how memory management works in Cocoa
- A practical understanding of unit testing
- A familiarity with UI automated testing
- A passion for sophisticated UI development
- Some practice experience with TDD and/or BDD
- Experience of or interest in functional programming
- An active Github account / open source contributions
At ustwo we believe that diversity makes us stronger and better. We welcome people from all backgrounds regardless of your ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, disability, veteran or marital status.
We live our values through how we approach our work, our clients, our teams and ourselves. We’re looking for someone who embodies these values and helps us raise the bar. You can read more about these in our Cultural Manifesto.
Be human. You are empathetic and care about the impact of actions on others. You speak your mind; no politics, no games. You lead by example.
Learn together. You have a curiosity to explore new ideas and share your knowledge with others.
Raise the bar. You don’t stand still. You always push forwards and go beyond your comfort zone. You are a work in progress and comfortable with that. You do things that make people say “I wish I thought of that.”
Use the freedom. You relish independence and harness it to experiment and push boundaries. You build trust with people and provoke change. You have a JFDI attitude.
Enjoy the journey. You celebrate, even when you fail. You make studio life count and enjoy the ride!